Depression can be defined as feelings of severe despondency and dejection. In fact, we all have depression at some time or another. However, there is a big difference between being depressed over an event which does not last a long time and long term depression.
Short term depression occurs in our lives when we perceive that something has not gone according to how we thought it might go. It is a way to balance our lives. The symptoms are the same as long term depression but they are not as severe or as long lasting.
A short bout of depression is not abnormal, it’s when it persists for a long time that problems occur.
The symptoms of depression can be:
• You feel hopeless and helpless
• You’ve lost interest in friends, activities, and things you used to enjoy
• You feel tired all the time
• Your sleep and appetite has changed
• You can’t concentrate or find that previously easy tasks are now difficult
• You can’t control your negative thoughts, no matter how much you try
• You are much more irritable, short-tempered, or aggressive than usual
• You’re consuming more alcohol than normal or engaging in other reckless behaviour
As you can see these symptoms and behaviours are not contusive to a good life. The question is why do we develop depression?
We all have times in our lives of trauma and stress. When this happens we go into a state of flight or fright as a protection mechanism. When the event is over our brain processes the event and we return back to calm. Sometimes however the brain does not process the event or events and we stay in a state of flight and fight.
This puts enormous stress on the body and can manifest as depression. There are other symptoms but depression is a common symptom. So if we want to cure long term depression we need to resolve the unresolved trauma and stress in our lives. To do this the body has to know that the events are over and you are safe and that you have power over these events.
The Richards Trauma Process is a process that uses hypnosis to resolve trauma and stress quickly and efficiently. In three to four sessions the cause of depression can be removed to allow you to live a life free of depression.